Director of Organizing
The Association of Pennsylvania State College and University Faculties (APSCUF), which represents the approximately 5,500 faculty and coaches at Pennsylvania’s 14 state-owned universities, seeks a highly motivated director of organizing. This is a full-time, permanent position that primarily focuses on internal organizing and mobilizing of faculty and coaches. The position reports directly to the APSCUF president and is based in Harrisburg, Pa. The position requires regular travel to the 14 campuses across Pennsylvania.
- Dedicated to the union movement and higher education
- Possesses an insured vehicle and valid driver’s license (a vehicle may be provided)
- Willing to work long and irregular hours
- Willing to spend significant time on the road
- Strong communications skills
- Works well with other staff members
- Experience with databases
- Self-motivated, responsible, organized, professional, and detail-oriented
- Able to work independently under the supervision of the Association’s leadership
- A bachelor’s degree is required, but an advanced degree is a plus
- Comfort communicating and working with a highly educated workforce is essential
- Experience with higher education policy and issues is desirable
- 4-5 years of experience as an organizer and supervisory experience is preferred
SUMMARY OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop internal organizing strategies in coordination with APSCUF leadership
- Design and implement an organizing plan based on the strengths of the 14 campuses
- Develop metrics to evaluate all aspects of organizing including the activism and engagement of members and regularly report to state and campus leadership
- Oversee and coordinate additional statewide and campus campaigns as needed — support for rallies, events, etc.
- Serve as lead organizer — travel to campuses, conduct member outreach, and coordinate and monitor the activities of relevant staff
- Contribute to a union education program — train members, potential organizers, existing staff, etc.
- Prepare and propose a suggested budget for organizing efforts
- Work cooperatively with other unions
- Provide support to relevant APSCUF committees
Salary will be commensurate with experience. APSCUF provides a generous benefit package, which includes health care and retirement.
To be considered for this position, please provide the following:
- A cover letter expressing interest in the position
- A current resume reflecting qualifications for this position
- A salary history
- Names and contact information for three relevant references.
The position will remain open until filled by an excellent candidate
Please email application materials to the APSCUF President c/o email@example.com.