The Association of Pennsylvania State College and University Faculties (APSCUF), which represents the approximately 5,500 faculty and coaches at Pennsylvania’s 14 state-owned universities, seeks a highly motivated member-benefits specialist. This is a full-time, permanent position that focuses on educating members about their employer and their union-provided benefits, expanding and promoting membership benefits, advocating for members with third-party providers, and assisting the association by advising about national healthcare trends. A large portion of the work involves working directly with members to resolve issues with providers. This is an entry-level position, and training will be provided.
- Dedication to the union movement
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and ability to be a strong advocate
- The ability to analyze and explain healthcare and insurance contracts
- The capacity to understand the complexities of healthcare and other benefits
- Possess an insured vehicle and a valid driver’s license
- The ability to travel and work some evenings and weekends
- Experience with databases and the ability to calculate costs
- Motivated, responsible, organized, professional and detail-oriented
- Excellent writing skills
- The ability to work independently under the supervision of the Association’s leadership.
- Related experience is desirable
- Possess a bachelor’s degree from a college or university or an associate degree with experience
- Comfort with communicating with a highly educated workforce is essential
SUMMARY OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Educate members (active and retirees) about multiple benefits, including healthcare and retirement options
- Research new statewide and campus union benefits
- Be able to explain complex policies to individuals and at meetings
- Travel to all 14 campuses
- Support relevant member committees
- Work with staff with regard to their benefits
- Assist with member outreach and assist with organizing efforts
- Work cooperatively with other staff
- Be responsible for implementing and supervising projects and information campaigns
- Attend staff, campus, and statewide meetings to make group presentations and work individually with members
- Provide regular reports to leadership
- Provide support to APSCUF committees
- Understand HIPAA regulations
- Work cooperatively with other unions
- Work with outside vendors
Starting salary range is $35,000 to $41,000. APSCUF provides a generous benefits package, which includes healthcare, retirement, tuition benefits, etc.
APSCUF is an equal-opportunity employer.
To be considered for this position, please provide the following:
- A cover letter expressing interest in the position
- A current résumé
- Names and contact information for three relevant references.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: The position will remain open until filled by an excellent candidate.
* * *
State APSCUF has no additional employment openings at this time.