See our checklist for questions that every temporary faculty should ask
APSCUF believes that all faculty members at the 14 state-owned universities deliver quality education to their students and deserve fair and equitable treatment. Non-tenure track faculty members in the State System are guaranteed certain benefits as defined by the CBA, such as the right to the grievance procedure, sick days, personal days, and health and welfare benefits. We encourage non-tenure track faculty to get involved in APSCUF. To learn more about the organization, talk to your local Chapter President.
Mary Popovich (left) teaching a first aid and personal safety course at California University of Pennsylvania.
Click here to read the September 2013 Resolution on Temporary Faculty and the Affordable Care Act
Know Your Contract
The information below specifies sections of the contract that include language directly relating to temporary faculty members. To view the contracts, visit our Contract page. From there you can download the contract or search / browse it through Google Docs.
- Definition of Temporary Faculty (page 2, see "NON-TENURE TRACK FACULTY")
- The Grievance Procedure (Article 5 (pages 4 through 7))
- The 7% Cap on Part-time Temporary Faculty (Article 11.F.. (pages 18 and 19))
- Temporary Faculty Conversion Rights (Article 11.G. and 11.H. (pages 19 and 20))
- Evaluation of Temporary Faculty Members (Article 12.H. (page 26))
- Application of Time Spent in Temporary Service to Probationary Period (Article 15.B. (page 29))
- Sick Leave Accrual for Temporary Faculty Members in Semester/Academic Year (Article 17.A.1. (pages 34 and 35))
- Sick Leave Usage for Temporary Faculty Members in Summer (Article 17.B.5.d. (page 36))
- Sick Leave Bank (Article 17.C. (page 37 -- see also Sick Leave Bank Policy and Procedures at your local APSCUF Office))
- Health Care Benefits (Article 21 (pages 52 through 67))
- Retrenchment Order (Article 29 (page 76))
- Temporary Faculty Teaching at Other Locations (Article 40.B.2. (page 94))
- Temporary Faculty Teaching at University Center (Article 41.B.2. (page 95) and 41.B.3.c. (1) and (2) (page 96))
- Seniority Credit for Temporary Service (Appendix B.I.B. and B.I.C. (page 107))